About this course
Befrienders play an important role in the reintegration journey of former inmates. As a dedicated befriender, you provide much needed emotional and pro-social support to former inmates as they re-enter society and face numerous barriers. Hence, it is important to have an appreciation of the aftercare landscape and to understand both your clients' aspirations and challenges as they return to society.
This course is useful and relevant for those seeking a meaningful and rewarding befriending experience as well as for volunteers who mentor or coach former inmates. It equips you with practical skills and knowledge, such as effective ways of engaging your client and navigating common challenges in the befriending process.
Course Access Period
Please note that this is an online self-paced asynchronous course where learners will be granted one month of access from the enrolment date.
What you will learn
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Gain insights into the relevant aftercare landscape
- Appreciate the volunteer’s role in the desistance of former inmates
- Empathise with former inmates’ aspirations and challenges
- Engage and encourage former inmates
- Respect boundaries and ethical obligations
- Practise self-care in your befriending journey